Extracts from the Book of the Dead :
Part 5 : additionnal chapters
The first chapters mainly refer to the God Amon of Thebes, and his consort, his wife with many names and faces, Mout - Sekhmet; (she was a ferocious lioness, and also Bastet, the cat who protected the home). Her cult was powerful in the period of the supremacy of lower Egypt..
Osiris himself was the victim of a deluge brought about by the Creator, who wanted to bring the world back to its primitive state
CHAPTER 165 - Words to say to salute the soul of N :
- O Most exalted, invisible Lion god, the greatest God of the West and of the Sky, Amon.
- O One whose form is unknown, whose shape is secret, the great Celestial Horus;
- O Amon I implore you! I know your name, your shape is in my mouth, your form is in my eyes, come to your heir, come to your image, Osiris N. I venerate your name. Know that I know you are the Very Great, the Hidden One; that is your name.
CHAPTER 167 - Formula to bring forth the sacred eye of Re by the soul of N.:
The text that Kha-em-Ouast, (the son of Ramses II) found in a holy book, (west of Memphis), is more valuable than any vases of treasure. It had been made in the portal of fire.
The Book of 'The One whose nature is mysterious(!)', found by Amenhotep son of Hapou, gave protection to all his family
- O (Amon), the bull of fire, who makes the stones explode with his fiery breath; the god whose shape is hidden, whose image is secret, the one in the Douat who conceals mysteries and controls the entire earth, there is nothing that exists without your knowledge. I am one of your descendents ..
- O, One whose eye is a flame which protects him against the gods; he hides during the day from his enemies in his great disk of fire. Great Soul, the god of the rising of the sun, resplendent, your two sacred eyes are the mysterious solar disk, which is transformed on the horizon of the sky, ruling it for ever.
On the left: mourners at the tomb of Re-Mose, who was a Vizier under Amenophis III.
On the right: the ritual of the opening of the mouth done by a member of the family 70 days after death.
CHAPTER 168 - Worship of Osiris by the soul of Osiris N:
- Rise up Osiris, soul of Re that gave back your form,
- Rise up, those in the sanctuary, Re will lead you toward your boat.
- Rise up Osiris, whose heart beats no more, and who praises Re.
- Rise up Amon, whose body is hidden, (the eldest son of Re).
- Rise up Osiris! Re offers you his hands and Ptah protects you.
- Rise up Osiris, your two sisters Isis and Nephtys prostrate themselves before you.
- Rise up, the one whose mysteries are hidden; who illuminates the Douat with the light of his eyes.
- Rise up Orion, master of life! Your son Horus gives you his scepter Djam.
- Rise up child Khepri, the offspring of Nout and Re.
- Rise up Thou rich in adornments! Temples contain your hidden picture.
- Rise up eldest of elders, the great, victorious Osiris! Maat is with you; Isis is your protection.
- Rise up, god of many forms! The earth has your image and your mummy, and the sky is filled with your divine soul-star.
- Rise up, O Eternal One who surrounds the earth All beings are cradled in your arms
CHAPTER 169 - The words to say :
- When you rise into the sky in the presence of Re, all the mist from the river will disappear. You leave the bowels of the earth. You are pure--all your body has been purified by milk, beer and incense. The impurities have all been removed. The gates of heaven have been opened by Re, and Geb has been opened up to the grandeur and quality of your Akh spirit.
Thot, the ambassador of Ra is watching you from above as you come and go in the great hypostyle room; your Ka is with You, bringing you joy. You go up into heaven with the gods, who give Maat to Re; You are introduced to the gods of the Ennead and you are treated as one of them. You offer the Goose-Khar, (the father of the Geese-ro), to 'Ptah-who-is above the wall'. You are proclaimed just by the two gods of Maat (Hathor and Isis?)
- Atoum, we salute you, Khepri (the rising Sun), we salute you. You are the origin of the Kas of all the gods, because all good things come from you.
- We Salute Osiris N. whose Ka shines amongst the Ennead. He will not be chased by bad spirits, the lords of the slaughterhouse, (those with pointed knives), because the vindicated ones are those who have taken hold of their Kas and their power to defend themselves.
CHAPTER 170 - The words to say to salute the soul of Osiris N.:
Thot himself comes to you bearing the Book of holy words; he raises his hand towards the horizon, towards the place that your Ka desires. He did this for Osiris on the night that he departed his life.
- Ah! Osiris N., Atoum, the father of the gods has been established firmly for all eternity.
- Ah! Osiris N. you are a god who was undergone many transformations; your form is perfect, (more so than that of the gods). Your radiance is greater than that of those in bliss; your power is greater than that of the dead.
- Ah Osiris N., 'Ptah-who is above-the-wall' raises you to a place higher than that of the gods.
- Ah! Osiris N., you are Horus, the son of Osiris, who gave birth to Ptah, who was created by Nout.
- You shine like Re on the horizon when he lights up the two countries of his beauty. All the gods say "Welcome, come see your spiritual wealth in the land of eternity ".
- (Osiris N.) I am the heir to the heavens, the companion of He who created light.
CHAPTER 172 - The way to transfiguration in the empire of the dead:
I am pure, and pure are the works of praise which come forth from my mouth.
The soul of Osiris N. is very beautiful. Ptah and all the gods praise him, and each goddess says:
- your beauty is like the pillar of Ptah in its perfection.
- Ah, yes, you have been put down! You put on the garment and took off the garment. You were one of the objects of the fishing and hunting parties at the Great Castle. When you mounted upon ORION, Nout welcomed you into his arms.
ORION, (The son of Re), and Nout (who brought the gods into the world) speak thus to one another.
- On the great day when he will be glorified, N. will be on the lips of all children. Rise up, N. and hear your praises!
CHAPTER 173 - Horus salutes his father Osiris. Many praises to Osiris by N.
- I adore you, lord of the gods. The one and only God, who lives in the truth; this is your son Horus.
- I bring true sayings to your Ennead, so that I may be among your true devotees.
- Osiris, I am your son, come to glorify your soul, and to give you even more power.
CHAPTER 174 - The words to allow the spirit of Akh to leave the great door of the heavens:
The words of Anubis: Oh, One and Only true God, who has no equal; whose sacred eyes let you see all, and whose ears hear everything, express the symbols of life-force, as did Nefertoum. You, who knows the thoughts of the unhappy men in his heart and responds to their call, (as in the chapel at Karrak, where he was called "He who replies to the unfortunate."
CHAPTER 175 - Words to ensure one does not die again.
Words of Osiris N.:
- Oh, Atoum, why must I go into the desert, and live without water or air? It is so dark there and seems endless; (Periods of disorder at Herackeopolis). Atoum replies:
- You shall live there in bliss; there one lives in glory and has no need of water, air, bread nor beer.
- I will see the face of the Master of all; but how long will my life last there?
- Your life will be millions of years long and this land will return to the state of Noun, to the floods which were there at the beginning. I shall destroy everything I have created.
When I am transformed again into a snake, (which men cannot see), I shall stay beside Osiris. I have performed many beautiful acts for Osiris, more than for any other God. I gave him the desert region of the necropoli. I prepared his place in the "barque of the people", and I made his son Horus the heir to throne in the island of flames.
- But will the soul of his wicked brother, Seth, (the symbol of evil), be sent to the West, unlike all the other gods? Atoum replies " :
- I have arranged for his soul to remain a prisoner in his barque, so that the divine body will be protected".
The sound of praise spreads out over Herackeopolis.
- Osiris appears as Re, (having inherited the throne). Osiris says to Atoum:
- Oh, Lord of All, let the people, the blessed and the dead come to me, after you have given them fear and respect for my prestige, and let them fear Seth no more."
- You have done very well, better than any other. Osiris replies:
- I have done it by means of the WORDS that came from my mouth.
Funeral chamber of Ramses VI. To the left: the mummies (full of bliss) receiving the rays of the sun. On the right: the executioners (in black) decapitate the souls of the damned and empty them of their blood.
CHAPTER 180 - Formula to restore souls to life :
Words said by N.:"Oh Re who lives in Osiris" in all his glorious manifestations of the blissful gods of the west. The one form of the mystery of the Douat, the holy soul of the west. Your face is serene, Oh indweller of the Douat! Your son Horus is content with you and you have made him appear in glory to the inhabitants of the Douat as a great star, which belongs to the Douat and passes into the son of Re, the descendent of Atoum. Mourners scream for you, they hit their hands and moan, but you, your soul exults and your body is glorious
Oh Osiris, you made me appear as a great star that brings all its wealth to the Douat. I have power over the darkness and I enter there, and leave. I have strengthened the scepter-djam of Orion and the headpiece of The One whose name is secret. I am the heir of Osiris who received his headpiece in the Douat. I am the successor of Re, and I am the mysterious pheonix. I am the one that travels the lower sky, following Re. I judge like Thot, I go with my heart filled with the dignity of 'The One whose possessions are Secret' in my appearances as the double god.
CHAPTER 181 - Formula to enter into the divine assembly of Osiris:Words said by the soul of N. :
I salute you Osiris, who presides over the west; you appeared in glory as Re. He came to see you, being delighted with your beauty,:
- his solar disk is YOUR solar disk,
- his rays are your rays,
- his forms are your forms
- his beauty is your beauty;
- his knowledge is your knowledge
- I greet you Osiris, son of Nout, for whom Atoum created prestige in the hearts of men, of gods, of the blessed, and to whom has been given the scepter of Heliopolis and many transformations. You are the possessor of great renown in the divine palace at Abydos, striking fear throughout the earth. Prince of the gods of the Douat, governor of the living, king of the dead, whom thousands (of souls) glorify at Kher-aha. Your sisters Ises and Nephthys come to you to fill your heart. With love for you they will enclose everything in their arms and reunite for you all the gods and the kas. They will adore you eternally...
on the left: columns of the temple in the shape of the goddess Hathor (Isis),
at Denderah (Upper Egypt).
on the right: the pensive face of the sphinx at night, which counts the millennia (see A. Rimbaud)
CHAPTER 182 - Formula to make the heart beat, that beats no more:I am Thot, the excellent scribe with unblemished hands, the one that chases away pain and writes only the truth; I protect the Master of the universe. I am in charge of the laws which were written to govern the two banks (of the Nile)
I am Lord of precision, the impartial witness of gods, who gives importance to the word so that it is venerated. I proclaim just the voice which is silenced. I make Re rest in Osiris, and Osiris in Re
I am Thot, the one who announces the dawn, who has a perfect vision of the future.
I am Thot, who directs the sky, the earth and the Douat, and created human life.
I salute you, chief of the gods of the West, who redirects human beings back into the world, and they return rejuvenated. They are more beautiful than before
After being justified by Osiris N. : you are living, renewed, rejuvenated, just as is Re every day!
CHAPTER 183 - Homage of Osiris N. to the great Osiris :He says: I come to you, Osiris, son of Nout, who governs over eternity. I am the descendent of Thot, who brought you soft breezes, life and lets your beautiful face prevail. The north wind comes to you from Atoum, O Master of the sacred Country.
He made the solar light shine on you and it has illumined for you the path of darkness.
Oh Osiris, your son Horus was proclaimed just before the Ennead, earthly royalty was given to him, and his ureus, was the entire earth.
The throne of Geb was assigned to him and the exalted duty of Atoum was written on a block of quartzite, according to the order of your father Ptah-Tatenen, who is on the great throne
Happy are those who respect the God (Osiris) who is at Abydos, in the original nome.
I come to you, my hands bearing the truth, with a heart empty of lies and falsehood. I come before Maat because I know that I did not commit any injustices in this land, I have not injured anyone.
I am Thot, the Master of exactitude, who asserts the rights of those whose voice has been silenced. I am the protector of the weak and of those who suffer.
CHAPTER 192 - All Glory to Osiris :Oh Osiris N. , alive again; rejuvenated, there is nothing amiss where ever you go You come with the day, you love the light and god comes to rest where you are.
The Dual doors of the other world are open for you; the doors of the Hidden Kingdom are broken down for you. The doormen rejoice at your coming and say:
- Enter, well favored one, and leave here well beloved The blameless glorify you and those who are in the kingdom accompany you, Oh Osiris that rules over the west, Osiris N.,
|Return to the page of introduction|
o - o - o - o - o - o